Contact Us: 072-687-0627
 

Brief History

Brief History of DMMMSU- SLUC Library

The first Library started operating on July 23, 1945 when the SouthernProvincial High School (SPHS) was established as a post-war provincial high schooland collections were housed in the office of the Principal with least 200 books.

By virtue of Republic Act 6309, it became the Southern La Union National High School (SLUNHS) in 1972, the first in the province of La Union,that accommodated students as far as San Fernando, La Union, Sison and San Fabian, Pangasinan. The library was housed at the Chan Hall (now the Eriquel Hall) with an increased collections of various subject of books of at least 3,000 volumes mostly donations from the Agoo community, faculty, staff and from alumni leaving abroad.

Presidential Decree 1176 as amended by PD 1437 merged the Southern Ilocos Polytechnic College (SIPSC) with Rosario National Agriculture School, Sto. Tomas School  of Fisheries.  The college ventured into higher tertiary education as it offered baccalaureate and master degrees in arts, sciences and post-secondary studies,  the library in Agoo campus was transferred to the  second floor of the College of Computer.

In 1981, DMMMSU was established and paved the way for the construction of a library building in Agoo at least 20,000 collections of books, magazines, journals, government publications, multi-media and audio-visual materials.In 1990, the building was severely damaged by the July earthquake and which counted the use of  two classrooms in the College of Arts and Sciences building became the temporary library for three (3) years.

On November 24, 1995, the rehabilitated library was inaugurated Library including the Phase II wing. More programs emerged, more students came, and the library likewise had expanded immensely.

The unprecedented growth of the SLUC library boasts when in 1993 adopted a tri-campus organizational set-up catering to all campuses of the University of the different library almost 60,000 plus collections in print and  non-print collections and The unified and strong effort of the people in the academic community, local educators, civic-oriented citizens, political leadership, and the students, faculty and staff and administration increased its collections and different services for the researches and studies are offered. Today it serves as the central library for students of the South La Union Campus, and Higher Education Institutions in the Region of Ilocos and nearby regions in Luzon.  Henceforth, the College Library has gained its name and recognition in the field of education, research and community service.

The main libraries of the campuses are conducive to reading/studying. The reading rooms are fully air-conditioned. Books, journals and other reference materials are easily accessible through a systematic card catalogue. Latest editions of textbooks and latest issues of scientific journals and research publications are regularly subscribed to provide the students with up-to-date information. E-references have also been made available to all users.